Q & A Free Reduced Meals

Leland and Gray Union Middle High School

Dear Parent/Guardian:

Children need healthy meals to learn. Leland and Gray offers healthy meals every day. The cost for Breakfast is 1.75; Lunch costs 2.75. Your children may qualify for free meals or reduced price meals. There is no charge for reduced price breakfast or reduced price lunch.

  1. 1.DO I NEED TO FILL OUT AN APPLICATION FOR EACH CHILD? No. Complete the application to apply for free or reduced price meals. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: Deborah Mears, 1219 VT RT 30, Townshend, VT 05353.
  1. 2.WHO CAN GET FREE MEALS? All children in households receiving benefits from 3SquaresVT or Reach-Up can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free meals if your household’s gross income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.
  1. 3.CAN FOSTER CHILDREN GET FREE MEALS? Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court, are eligible for free meals. Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income.
  1. 4.CAN HOMELESS, RUNAWAY, AND MIGRANT CHILDREN GT FREE MEALS? Yes, children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant qualify for free meals. If you haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call or e-mail WCSU, Samantha Bovat at 802-365-9510, sbovat@windhamcentral.org if they qualify.
  1. 5.WHO CAN GET REDUCED PRICE MEALS? Your children can get breakfast and lunch at no charge if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Eligibility Income Chart, shown on this
  1. 6.SHOULD I FILL OUT AN APPLICATION IF I RECEIVED A LETTER FROM 3SQUARESVT OR REACH UP THIS SCHOOL YEAR SAYING MY CHILDREN ARE APPROVED FOR FREE MEALS? Please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. To ensure your children receive meal benefits immediately, please send the letter to the school. Call the district office at 802-365-9510 if you have
  1. 7.MY CHILD’S APPLICATION WAS APPROVED LAST YEAR. DO I NEED TO FILL OUT ANOTHER ONE? Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.
  1. 8.I GET WIC. CAN MY CHILD(REN) GET FREE MEALS? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an application.
  1. 9.WILL THE INFORMATION I GIVE BE CHECKED? Yes and we may also ask you to send written proof.
  1. 10.IF I DON’T QUALIFY NOW, MAY I APPLY LATER? Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year. For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.
  1. 11.WHAT IF I DISAGREE WITH THE SCHOOL’S DECISION ABOUT MY APPLICATION? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Deborah Mears, 1219 VT Rt 30, Townshend, VT 05353, 802-365-9510 dmears@windhamcentral.org.
  1. 12.MAY I APPLY IF SOMEONE IN MY HOUSEHOLD IS NOT A U.S. CITIZEN? Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be U.S. citizens to qualify for free or reduced price meals.
  1. 13.WHO SHOULD I INCLUDE AS MEMEBERS OF MY HOUSEHOLD? You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children living with you. If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people who you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay a pro-rated share of expenses), do not include them.
  1. 14.WHAT IF MY INCOME IS NOT ALWAYS THE SAME? List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.
  1. 15.WE ARE IN THE MILITARY. DO WE INCLUDE OUR HOUSING ALLOWANCE AS INCOME? If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.
  1. 16.MY SPOUSE IS DEPLOYED TO A COMBAT AONE. IS HIS/HER COMBAT PAY COUNTED AS INCOME? No, if the combat pay is received in addition to his/her basic pay because of his/her deployment and it wasn’t received before he/she was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income. Contact your school for more information.
  1. 17.MY FAMILY NEEDS MORE HELP. ARE THERE OTHER PROGRAMS WE MIGHT APPLY FOR? To find out how to apply for 3SquaresVT or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or1-800-479-6151.

If you have other questions or need help, call Deborah Mears, 802-365-9510.

Si necesita ayuda, por favor llame al teléfono:802-365-9510.                                                                              

Si vous voudriez d’aide, contactez nous au numero: 802-365-9510.


Deborah Mears

Free and Reduced Meal Clerk

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal and, where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or if all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at program.intake@usda.gov.

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities and wish to file either an EEO or program complaint please contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (in Spanish).

Persons with disabilities who wish to file a program complaint, please see information above on how to contact us by mail directly or by email. If you require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) please contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.